Sugar Cookies


Here is a very good basic recipe for sugar cookies. I know I am just about "cookied out" but this is a good one to save and try at a later time if you are feeling the same way I am! It is from the The Doubleday Cookbook. I don't know if I will get another chance to post a recipe before the New Year since I'll be away for a few days. My plans for New Year's eve are to be home with my husband and youngest son and bring in the New Year via Dick Clark!!!! I don't care to go out on New Year's eve. Hope all of you have a happy and safe New Year and let me know what your plans are!!!

This recipe makes approximately 7 dozen

3 3/4 cups sifted flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sift flour with baking powder and salt and set aside. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until just blended (lowest speed if you use mixer). If your kitchen is very hot, wrap dough in wax paper and chill about 1 hour (I always chill the dough for at least one hour) so it will roll more easily. Roll 1/4 of dough at a time on a lightly floured board to 1/16" - 1/8" thickness and cut with plain or fluted cutters (a 2" or 3" size is good). Transfer to baking sheets with a pancake turner, spacing cookies 2" apart. If you like, brush with milk and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake in top 1/3 of oven 8-9 minutes until pale tan. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Reroll and cut trimmings.

For softer cookies: Roll dough 1/8" - 1/4" thick and cut with a 3" cutter; bake as directed 10-12 minutes until edges are just golden.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I always love a new sugar cookie recipe, thanks!
Jennifer said…
I love sugar cookies! Have a great new years eve, we are staying home as well!
Sugar cookies can be used for many occassions and you're right. Thisone is a keeper. Hope you have a nice couple of days away and a Happy New Year.
The Blonde Duck said…
You can never have too many sugar cookies!