General Tso's Tofu

Slowly and steadily I'm trying to get back in the swing of posting more regularly. I miss my blog and trying new recipes. Kind of fell out of it for a while there. But for the moment I am once again enjoying myself with baking and trying new dishes, so as long as that lasts, so will these posts!

I know lots of people don't care for tofu but I wonder how many of those people have actually TRIED it and not liked it?  I, for one, am a huge tofu fan.  Discovered my love for it over the past year and I make it a regular dish in my diet.  It has everything in it that is good for you. I tried it originally as a meat replacer since I gave up eating meat a year ago. Ah, tofu is truly so much better.  This version of it is really good. Tastes just like something out of a really good Chinese restaurant.  Found this recipe here.  So if you are a tofu lover like I am or just thinking of giving it a "try," just go for it already with this recipe.  I don't think you will be disappointed!

1 brick extra firm tofu
3 - 4 TBS cornstarch
1 - 2 TBS canola or vegetable oil

For the Sauce

1/2 cup brown sugar
3 TBS hoison sauce
3 TBS rice vinegar
3 TBS ketchup
2 TBS soy sauce
1/2 cup water
2 shakes (or more) of red pepper flakes
1 TBS sesame oil
4 green onions, chopped
3 TBS fresh ginger, finely chopped

Drain tofu of excess water.  I usually put the tofu on a large plate with stack of paper towels under it to absorb the water.  I put paper towels on top also and used a chopping block with a large heavy bowl on it for pressure to drain the tofu.  This will take between 15 and 20 minutes.

While waiting for the tofu to drain combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Heat a skillet on medium (I love to use a cast iron skillet and recommend that) with about 1/4 inch oil inside. I used canola oil but vegetable oil will work too.  Once your tofu has drained slice it into 1/2 inch
blocks and cut those into thirds.  Coat each cube lightly with cornstarch and place in frying pan until browned and crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Wipe skillet clean and add your sesame oil.  Add ginger and green onions until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sauce mixture and bring to a boil.  Let simmer for 2 minutes and then add tofu and toss to coat with sauce.  Add additional green onions if desired.  I serve this on top of basmati rice.



Comments

Joanne said…
I definitely agree that the people who claim to not like tofu have often never tried it!! I, for one, would love this general tso's meatless version!
Pam said…
Love the sound and look of this... I never thought to make General Tso's Tofu.
i've never tried tofu made this way before, definitely will be giving it a go.. the vegetarian members of my household will definitely love it. thanks for sharing!