Tofu Steaks

It has been way too long since I have posted but I just haven't done a whole lot of cooking with new recipes.  Mainly old standbys.  Chocolate chip cookies, shoo fly pie that I haven't made in ages, etc.  Then there is this new recipe. Simple and delicious!  The best "steak" I have ever had.  Anyone can make this. No special culinary skills required!  I hope you will try it.  I had rice on the side but a baked potato sounds pretty good too with a salad. Maybe some chocolate cake for dessert?  (Forgive the picture - wish I had a better one.  Thought they came out well but realized after the steaks were eaten that the pics were blurry!)

Tofu Steak

1 block of firm or extra firm tofu, drained well
1/4 onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbs soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp mirin
cooking oil
salt & pepper to taste

Drain tofu for approximately 1/2 hour.  I wrap tofu in paper towels and place on plate with cutting board on top of it and large round dish on top of that.  Weird but it works.  Change paper towels several times.
While draining tofu, mince garlic.  Chop up onion and place in round dish.  Add 2 Tbs soy sauce, one Tbs sugar and 1 tsp mirin.  Stir well.
When "steaks" are drained, pat dry and dredge in flour.
On medium high setting, add oil to cast iron skillet and saute garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add a little more oil and cook tofu steaks for about 5 minutes on one each side until browned.  Add soy sauce mixture and cook about 2 minutes on each side until sauce cooks down and coats steaks well.

Enjoy!

This recipe was found on Facebook and the full recipe can be found on YouTube at TabiEats.


Comments

Wow... this is cool, it looks just like steak. I like meat, but I am sure I will like this too. Sure, it smells really good with garlic, onion and soy sauce. :)
I never knew TOFU could be so appealing.
O. M. Gggg
YUM.